Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Procedures
The process of filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy might seem a little complicated at first. But getting getting a Chapter 13 case approved is not so difficult if the proper steps are followed.
In simplified form, the debtor seeking debt relief in Chapter 13 will need to follow these steps:
- get a free Chapter 13 case evaluation
- provide your financial records, such as pay stubs and recent tax returns
- take the required credit counseling class
- review with your attorney and sign the prepared bankruptcy forms
- make your first Chapter 13 payment within 30 days from the case filing
- attend with your attorney the "meeting of the creditors" conducted by the case trustee
- let your attorney resolve any objections to your proposed Chapter 13 plan
- let your attorney work to have your proposed Chapter 13 plan approved by the court
- complete the debtor education class
- make all required Chapter 13 payments
Although it requires a commitment of three to five years to successfully complete a Chapter 13 plan, its worth it to finally become debt free!